Sunday, June 15, 2008

Something to be Grateful for


We had a really sobering experience on Friday. We almost lost our little Jellybean. She and Ang were visiting Grandma and when the time came to leave, she went missing. The search began and ended quickly when Grandma found her face-down in the fish pond. I tremble as I type this because I cannot imagine losing my little girl. It would kill me.

Grandma saved the day, catching her in the nick of time. JB was struggling to get her footing in the water and had only inhaled a little bit. A split second later would have been too late. There were adults in the yard with her the entire time... nobody heard a splash... it happened just that fast. She had the chills and a fever all that night. I know because I didn't sleep well. If not for the weight limitations, I would have curled up with her in her crib just to be there with her.

I am grateful every day for my kids, and even more so now, though I didn't think it was possible. Give your kids an extra-long hug tonight.

5 comments:

Nickie said...

Oh, Dee
I know how that can be, how awful! There are too many feelings that run through you when stuff like that happens. The same thing happened to L at a neighbor's house last summer. I hugged that wet little girl until I was dripping wet too. Scary.
Oh, give that baby an extra long hug from me too okay.
I love you guys, you gave me the chills too.

Bonnie said...

Jellybean has me wrapped around her little finger, too. I am so grateful that she is all right. To all of you who read this blog, don't forget to tell your kids that you love them every single day. Give them all a hug for me every day, too. Even when they are doing something aggravating, that is when they need the hugs the most.

TeamGornold said...

I got scared/teary eyed reading this blog. Oh Delaware, I am so sorry. I am also so glad that EVERYTHING is gonna be alright. Not to be cheesy, but I think maybe someone else was watching over her too.
Love you much, and I will hug my dogs extra long, because I have no kids!
Shirt

bebe said...

HOLY SHMOLY!!
Man!! I cannot imagine what that had to have been like - Lord willing I will never have to find out!! It's very sobering to think that we sometimes need an event like this to realize what truly are the most important things in our lives!! I'm with Shirt...Guardian Angels...I know we all have (at least)two pretty darn good ones for the four of us and our families!! Stay Strong - Oh and uh....HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! We all love youse guys....KJSS

Camille said...

That is too scary. I can't imagine how awful that was for you guys. Truly horrifying. I am so glad everything is okay. And thanks for the advice on hugging my onery teenagers every day. :)